Calibrating measurements in Panoramic images is not suggested. Panoramic images are 2D distortions of a 3D image, which makes distances inconsistent throughout the x-ray. Apteryx recommends measurements be taken using intra-oral sensors for accuracy.
Calibrating measurements for Phosphor Plate images will only be successful for a single image and will not apply to all scanned images. This is because the calibration is based on resolution (eg 1070 x 790). Scanned images may have a slight rotation when dropped into the scanner resulting in an inconsistent resolution (eg 1071 x 789 or 1069 x 791).
Calibrating a sensor is done by taking an image of an object of known size and using that image as reference for Apteryx software to measure against. Apteryx recommends using a coin as the reference image, and supplied below is a sizing chart for US and Canadian coins.
- Open XVCapture/DCV under a Test Patient.
- Capture an x-ray of an object of known size on each brand/size of sensor.
- Example: If you have 2 Tuxedo A Size 2 sensors and 4 Tuxedo A Size 1 sensors, you will need to capture 1 Tuxedo A Size 2 image and 1 Tuxedo A Size 1. You do not need an image from every single sensor, just one for each size of each brand of sensor.
- Double click on the image to enter Image Enhancements.
- At the top of the window, click the Labels button, then select Calibration Options, and finally Calibrate Image.
- Your mouse cursor should become a cross-hair with a gear in the upper left. Single click once on one end of the object of known size, drag the cursor to the opposite end of the object, then double click.
- The Calibrate Measurements prompt will populate with a reported distance in millimeters. Fill in the correct known distance in the Actual Distance text box (in millimeters).
If using a US or Canadian coin as your object of known size, a chart showing the diameters of these is below.
- Click OK.
- Repeat steps 2-7 for every sensor of unique size and branding.
Size calibrations are global settings and will apply to every workstation using the calibrated install. If the office is using local installs instead of a server based install, the above steps will need repeated on every install of XrayVision.
|Diameter||19.05 MM||21.21 MM||17.91 MM||24.26 MM||30.61 MM||26.49 MM|
|Diameter||19 MM||21 MM||18.03 MM||23.88 MM||27.13 MM||26.5 MM||28 MM|
Article Version 1.0 2019.11.1