Calibrating measurements in Panoramic images is not suggested. Panoramic images are 2D distortions of a 3D image, which makes distances inconsistent throughout the x-ray. Apteryx recommends measurements be taken using intra-oral sensors for accuracy.
Calibrating measurements for Phosphor Plate images will only be successful for a single image and will not apply to all scanned images. This is because the calibration is based on resolution (eg 1070 x 790). Scanned images may have a slight rotation when dropped into the scanner resulting in an inconsistent resolution (eg 1071 x 789 or 1069 x 791).
Calibrating a sensor is done by taking an image of an object of known size and using that image as reference for Apteryx software to measure against. Apteryx recommends using a coin as the reference image, and supplied below is a sizing chart for US and Canadian coins.
- Open XrayVision under a Test Patient.
- Capture an x-ray of an object of known size on each brand/size of sensor.
- Example: If you have 2 Tuxedo A Size 2 sensors and 4 Tuxedo A Size 1 sensors, you will need to capture 1 Tuxedo A Size 2 image and 1 Tuxedo A Size 1. You do not need an image from every single sensor, just one for each size of each brand of sensor.
- With the new image open, select Actions and click.
- The mouse cursor should now appear as cross-hairs with a gear icon in the upper left, click and hold on the edge of the object of known size, move the cursor to the other side of the object (as evenly as possible), and release the mouse button.
- The Calibrate Measurements window should populate.
- Fill in the known distance in the text box with the correct corresponding units (inches, centimeters, or millimeters).
- If using a US or Canadian coin as your object of known size, a chart showing the diameters of these is below.
- Click OK
- Find and select Calibration from the toolbar on the right of XrayVision
- The Calibration pop-out with open. Double Click on <Add Current Calibration> under
- Name the Quick Calibration (Brand - Size naming convention is suggested. IE: Tuxedo A - Size 2). Then click OK.
- Double Click on <Create New Auto Calibration From Current Image> under Auto Calibrations (found under Quick Calibrations on the Calibration pop-out).
- Name the Auto Calibration (Brand - Size naming convention is suggested. IE: Tuxedo A - Size 2). Then click OK.
- Repeat steps 2 through 12 for every sensor of unique size and branding.
- Click on the Calibration button in the toolbar to close the Calibration pop-out.
Size calibrations are global settings and will apply to every workstation using the calibrated install. If the office is using local installs instead of a server based install, the above steps will need repeated on every install of XrayVision.
|Diameter||19.05 MM||21.21 MM||17.91 MM||24.26 MM||30.61 MM||26.49 MM|
|Diameter||19 MM||21 MM||18.03 MM||23.88 MM||27.13 MM||26.5 MM||28 MM|
Article Version 1.0 2019.11.1